This is a blog post I wrote for Elon’s PRSSA blog, but I thought I would share on this site as well.
After reading PR Daily’s 10 everyday decisions that will lead to social media success, I chose my favorite five that will help students learn from the industry and keep the conversation going.
• Join a new group or online chat to learn more about your industry. Once you join a group make sure you continue to stay updated on discussions, and posts so that you can contribute and share new information.
• “Like” 5 Facebook business pages to learn from them as a PR professional. This will help you get ideas of what to do or not do for your organization’s page.
• Share information you learned from someone else. Tweet an article someone else posted, or share something you learned from a group you joined. Be sure to mention where you got it!
• Respond to every comment or post on your blog or profile page and write meaningful comments on other posts and walls. Keep people engaged in what you are doing and allow for conversation by continuing the conversation.
• Go through your friends and connections and get rid of people whom you never interact with. If they are not meaningful relationships and people you have not stayed in touch with, may not be the best fit for building your network.