As a senior I am working hard to find a job. I’m from Raleigh, but want to move to Charlotte so I am busy working on networking in a new city. Here are some tips I’ve learned along the way:
• Reach out to alumni. I used Linkedin’s search engine to find Elon alum in the charlotte area by using the advanced search function. I sent messages to alumni just asking if they would be willing to talk and almost all of them have been!
• Reach out to professionals. If there is a company you are interested in working for, go to the website and contact someone. I’ve emailed several professionals to learn more about their position and gotten advice from them. They have been more than willing to help.
• Stand out. One professional I’ve been in contact with recommend that in addition to your portfolio take time to create something for the company you are going to interview with. For example, create a press release or brochure for the organization.
• Make your resume and cover letter POP. For example, if they have 5 requirements, bullet those out in your cover letter, and write 2-5 sentences explaining how you meet/exceed that requirement. It makes it very easy for a manager to glance over, and understand (especially when they are hiring for a position that is very different from their own, which ours typically are!)
• Attend professional organizations meetings. PRSA chapters have student prices for their monthly meetings and many chapters have young professionals groups within the chapter that also has social events.
• Attend alumni chapter events. Elon alumni chapters are in Atlanta, Charlotte, Boston, Chicago, LA, NYC, DC and more so email the president and see what events are planned!