One week ago I was getting on a plane with one of my best friends to go to Orlando for the 2014 Disney Princess Half Marathon. This race was my 2nd Disney Princess half and my 3rd half marathon. To say it was a fairy-tale or magical, would not be an exaggeration. Disney knows how to put on a great event and here are some take-aways from a communicator’s perspective:
- Event-planning skills and attention to detail is vital. Should be self-explanatory.
- Have enough staff/volunteers so they can easily help guests with simple questions or even to take a photo for guests. Throughout the race course and expo, there were characters that had at least 2 staff members with them — 1 professional photographer and one staff member there to take a photo with your camera/phone.
- Establish a #hashtag before the event and use it to field questions and allow guests to know some faces that will also be in attendance. #princesshalf was used and was a great resource to field questions as far as timing, what to pack, other tips and to learn who else would be making the trip to the race.
A couple things I would have liked to see from Disney:
- A thank you/recap email — I got one from my Disney Hotel, but not one from runDisney or about the race
- Survey or opportunity to provide feedback about the race and expo –> I wish there were more princesses on the course of the race!
*Updated 3/4/2014 runDisney did send me a thank you/recap email